SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IOC Session LIVE!

+12
Aranho
CraigKingOfIreland
Monegasque
Matt
Slacker
dljrfn2000
Engorn
Melbourne
philly_boy
knarfmo
cormiermax
Peter
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

IOC Session LIVE! - Page 3 Empty Re: IOC Session LIVE!

Post by philly_boy Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:44 am

Come on people... How can you compare Madrid's bid with Chicago's??? Madrid was by far superior!

(and the only thing the USA does NOT need right now is an olympic games...)
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://www.simcitygreece.gr

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumba Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:52 am

Because Chicago games was far superior to Madrid? It would've been an AMAZING urban olympic in its true sense. Most of the event occuring in the downtown sector, I cannot imagine how beautiful it would be to see olympic athlete do the marathon through its downtown with the skyscrapers serving as the backdrop. Every analysis had said the same thing. They expected Madrid to go out the very first round. But with IOC politics, trying to prevent Chicago to make it to the last round caused Madrid number to be disportunate high. Just look at at the result of the voting throughout the day, the 2 weakest cities got higher vote to eliminate Chicago then when Chicago was gone, you really can see the vote swinging over to Rio. Heck Rio won by more than 3/4 of the vote. Beside I thought the drama with Madrid was over the top, most notably the IOC member appealed to other IOC member to vote for Madrid because he was 87 and dying and wants to see Madrid win, how selfish is that?

But with that said, I knew Rio would've won in the end, but it was a insult to Chicago bid to have it finish last.
Kumba
Kumba
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by philly_boy Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:56 am

You finished last - big deal. And tbh, i didnt like the Chicago bid - there were hardly any new venues and what i found most peculiar is that they wanted to house some of the sports in a conference center.
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:59 am

philly_boy wrote:Come on people... How can you compare Madrid's bid with Chicago's??? Madrid was by far superior!

This is going to sound like a truly low statement, but it needs to be said.

yes because a greek with all the problems that are going on in there country has the slightest idea of what is going on in the US and oh yeah the US does not need a games right now... please the US is more capable of holding a games than Athens was in 04 and Sydney was in 2000. Madrid's bid was a JOKE honestly there were bids here that were put together for next to nothing for the simlympics that were more convincing than what Madrid put down... so please take a look outside of the problems in your back yard and stop assuming that the US is suffering the same junk.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:59 am

philly_boy wrote:You finished last - big deal. And tbh, i didnt like the Chicago bid - there were hardly any new venues and what i found most peculiar is that they wanted to house some of the sports in a conference center.

.... if memory serves Beijing used a conference center for a few venues.... that's not a big deal.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by philly_boy Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 am

pahahaha wtf man, compare atlanta to athens and then we can talk again regarding athens' games Wink But it hurts that Athens did so much better, doesnt it? Such a small country and all... Smile

and just for your information, its not MY country that is in recession. its yours Smile
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Monegasque Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:23 am

dljrfn2000 wrote:
philly_boy wrote:Come on people... How can you compare Madrid's bid with Chicago's??? Madrid was by far superior!

This is going to sound like a truly low statement, but it needs to be said.

yes because a greek with all the problems that are going on in there country has the slightest idea of what is going on in the US and oh yeah the US does not need a games right now... please the US is more capable of holding a games than Athens was in 04 and Sydney was in 2000. Madrid's bid was a JOKE honestly there were bids here that were put together for next to nothing for the simlympics that were more convincing than what Madrid put down... so please take a look outside of the problems in your back yard and stop assuming that the US is suffering the same junk.

LMAO, Seriously you say that you american's are always on the news being all "oh poor, us". Seriously i loved the Athens and Sydney games what was so bad about them? full of culture? Chicago never tickled my fancy, just the thought of another atlanta although it would give london a bigger legacy.
it wasnt politics, it was just the chicago bid, it wasnt great okay, i believe that madrid and rio had a better one.
the world doesnt just revolve around the US you know? Wink
Monegasque
Monegasque
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 372
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:53 am

actually, dljrfn might be onto something. I think that the session had something to do with the politics. I was reading an article on how Rio is the undisputed winner: clicky.

The article said that the asians in the IOC got together and voted for Tokyo, resulting in Chicago losing the first round.
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1386
Registration date : 2008-08-08

http://sites.google.com/site/chihiropetrova/

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:59 am

philly_boy wrote:pahahaha wtf man, compare atlanta to athens and then we can talk again regarding athens' games Wink But it hurts that Athens did so much better, doesnt it? Such a small country and all... Smile

and just for your information, its not MY country that is in recession. its yours Smile

Atlanta was a joke yes, but Athens was no better... the opening ceremony was forgettable; the games were ultimately lack luster and the only played on the fact that Greece was the home if the olympics.

Sydney was better than athens... but it's been hurt because the games were basically a two week expo and the stadiums have sat useless sense, it appears that Beijing will fall to the same fate but the games were ultimately memorable. Barcelona historicly was a good games because I was too young to remember those games but I remember Atlanta, I remember Sydney and I remember Athens I wasn't impressed with any of them. Despite Beijing's issues it was the best games of my life time. I would rank them, Beijing, Sydney, Atlanta, Athens.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Slacker Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 am

Alright... let's keep this to discussing the IOC Session/the bids please Smile.
Slacker
Slacker
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 2998

Back to top Go down

Post by philly_boy Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:10 am

dljrfn2000 wrote:
philly_boy wrote:pahahaha wtf man, compare atlanta to athens and then we can talk again regarding athens' games Wink But it hurts that Athens did so much better, doesnt it? Such a small country and all... Smile

Atlanta was a joke yes, but Athens was no better... the opening ceremony was forgettable; the games were ultimately lack luster and the only played on the fact that Greece was the home if the olympics.

Sydney was better than athens... but it's been hurt because the games were basically a two week expo and the stadiums have sat useless sense, it appears that Beijing will fall to the same fate but the games were ultimately memorable. Barcelona historicly was a good games because I was too young to remember those games but I remember Atlanta, I remember Sydney and I remember Athens I wasn't impressed with any of them. Despite Beijing's issues it was the best games of my life time. I would rank them, Beijing, Sydney, Atlanta, Athens.

Oh, you mean the part where you had 4000 years of history roll before your eyes or the fact that it was the safest games EVER?

You cant compare this:

to this:

i think the HUGE gap is obvious. Smile
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:01 am

sorry to say philly I honestly was bored by Athens OC.
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Number of posts : 3503

http://www.sthockeyleague.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philly_boy Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:06 am

You need to have a certain ammount of historical knowledge to appreciate the Athens OC.

But I guess you are like those people who were all "athen's wont make it" or "it would have been better to give the games to Baghdad rather than athens". Its only cause you failed in 1996 Smile

And please, I'd rather have 20 floats of historical context rather than trucks and cheerleaders running up and down the stadium Razz
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumba Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:52 am

Its okay philly, you're european and greek, so of course you'll support any european bid and defend athens, its no surprise really. But this conversation is leading nowhere since you cannot change other people opinion so its proably best to let it go Smile

If Madrid was a good bid, I would remember what was actually in the bid, but to be honest I have no idea what was in the bid, it wasn't that memorable like Rio and Chicago to be fair. Most news covered Rio and Chicago for this reason, they barely talked about Madrid or Toyko.
Kumba
Kumba
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 409

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:09 am

Not to bash Madrid, but I think Rio and Chicago had a far superior bid. I looked online to see any promo vids of Madrid, and all I got was a buncha people saying "I can feel it in my bones" en espanol.... I looked up Rio's, Chicago's and even Tokyo's promo videos, and all three were phenomenal.

And to be honest, I really didnt think Madrid had a chance after London hosting in 2012. And once Rio pulled out that map that showed south america having no games during their presentation, they pretty much had the IOC's vote.
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by philly_boy Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:10 am

Well, once thing is for certain: the 2016 olympics will be something different from everything we have seen before Very Happy
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:12 am

amen to that philly. carnivals, parties, fiestas, drug lords dancing in the crowds....yup, cant wait to see what Rio has in store! Razz
Peter
Peter
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:34 pm

actually philly I was a history major thank you very much so don't give me that I don't appreciate history BS.

honestly nothing jumped out at me I remeber watching it and that was about it.

Sorry I know it was your favourite and I expect that but that is no reason to slam me for my opinion.I am entitled to my opinion as is anyone else here.Also don't insult my intteligence by saying that I'd want trucks and Cheerleaders you have no fucking clue what I enjoy or don't, So don't go thinking all Americans are that way I try not to judge the greeks on what I see until I get to know them(there is a pretty good greek community here in Detroit by the by).

And I honestly couldn't have cared who hosted it that year you can ask max my intrest in the Summer Games is usually the OC and thats about all especially with the removal of my favourite summer sport I'll likely not watch the summer games.

My favourite Olympics has always been Winter I enjoy winter sports more than summer even then I don't get into the whole who's bidding ohhhh look at that bid bit I got into this one a bit cause I really like the city of Chicago and it's only 4 hours from where I live so I thought oh that'd be cool to drive to chicago to see the Olympics.Now that they're not hosting it it'll drop off my radar till it's almost time for it.

ok vent/rant over enjoy
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by philly_boy Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:56 pm

I never questioned your intelligence, canuck. Some things that were obvious to me in the OC might not have been so obvious to you - that was my point. Don't jump to conclusions. and FYI i have lived in the USA and I have gotten to know Americans and most of them don't have a clue. Im glad you're not amongst them.

As for the trucks and cheerleaders, it was a comparison between the atlanta OC and the athens OC - not a judgment of your opinion.
philly_boy
philly_boy
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by canuck3360 Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:19 am

I never said I liked atlanta's. And I may have misunderstood. But saying "you need to have a certain ammount of historical knowledge to apperciate the Athens OC" comes across as 1- an insult and 2- an arrogant statement so that's where I took the offense. As to it I really haven't liked any of the Summer IC's except Bejing's.
canuck3360
canuck3360
ISC Executive
ISC Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 am

canuck3360 wrote:
there is a pretty good greek community here in Detroit

As is there one in the town where I grew up, one of my major gf's through high school was a greek citizen, was born there moved here when she was 3. I, like canuck, got upset at how you just assumed that as an American I'd just want as Canuck said Trucks and Cheerleaders... if we wanted that we'd put Dallas up for the games (Just kidding... actually now that I think of it Dallas or really the whole state of Texas would be an interesting games if not for security issues)

As a bid, and a bid alone I liked Chicago's bid but I didn't like the fact that President Obama's buddies would've seen a huge pay day... but that's for a different discussion.

I think we can all pretty much agree that Madrid was the worst bid presented, followed then by a tie between Chicago and Tokyo and Rio rightfully so, even though we may have been routing for other bids, won the games for 2016 and congratulations to them.

Am I correct with that last statement to a degree??? Probably some discrepancies between Tokyo and Chicago; that's why I left them tied.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Monegasque Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:28 am

dljrfn2000 wrote:
canuck3360 wrote:
there is a pretty good greek community here in Detroit

As is there one in the town where I grew up, one of my major gf's through high school was a greek citizen, was born there moved here when she was 3. I, like canuck, got upset at how you just assumed that as an American I'd just want as Canuck said Trucks and Cheerleaders... if we wanted that we'd put Dallas up for the games (Just kidding... actually now that I think of it Dallas or really the whole state of Texas would be an interesting games if not for security issues)

As a bid, and a bid alone I liked Chicago's bid but I didn't like the fact that President Obama's buddies would've seen a huge pay day... but that's for a different discussion.

I think we can all pretty much agree that Madrid was the worst bid presented, followed then by a tie between Chicago and Tokyo and Rio rightfully so, even though we may have been routing for other bids, won the games for 2016 and congratulations to them.

Am I correct with that last statement to a degree??? Probably some discrepancies between Tokyo and Chicago; that's why I left them tied.

To prevent anymore arguements, you can't give a statement for everybody, everybody has there own opinions, about the session bids, so don't try to cause anymore arguements like "I think we can all pretty much agree that Madrid was the worst bid presented", honestly just think about what you say Wink
Monegasque
Monegasque
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:58 am

That's why I asked, Am I correct with this last statement to a degree???
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Monegasque Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:00 am

dljrfn2000 wrote:That's why I asked, Am I correct with this last statement to a degree???

no, your not Razz
Monegasque
Monegasque
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 am

ok, then what's your feelings on it? I thought we were as a general consensus in agreement I knew there would be some that did not agree with that. I'm curious to hear it
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next