SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2020 SOG

+11
TylerD30
canuck3360
dljrfn2000
catfriedrice
Slacker
Melbourne
Aranho
Joe 90
Engorn
philly_boy
cormiermax
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2020 SOG - Page 3 Empty Re: 2020 SOG

Post by cormiermax Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:30 am

Lol well some are obvious Razz
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:17 pm

2020: Cape Town
2024: Melbourne/ Paris
2028: Paris/ Melbourne.

Although I am quite biased, I do geniunely think that it has a strong possibilty to be chosen. The only venues that would have to be built would be a rowing/kayaking/canoeing venue. All other sports have existing stadiums and arenas. The swimming arena would need a slight upgrade but apart from that, the cost of hosting the games would be significantly less than most cities. It has excellent transport, culture etc., and has been named for the last two years as the world's ultimate sports city.

Potentially in 2018/2022 there is a good chance of the city hosting World Cup matches if chosen, further strengthening the merit and viability of the bid.

Also, the city is very conscious about the environment, with the City of Melbourne committing to zero carbon emission by 2020
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:39 am

Yes, go Australia, the 2000 Sydney Olympics were very nice! Hope Melbourne will get it! xD
Blakeway
Blakeway

Number of posts : 491
Registration date : 2009-11-29

http://aoin.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:29 am

I thought Brisbane was the next Aussie candidate?
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:09 am

Hope it'll be Melbourne, Brisbane is only known for its beaches... xD (no offense)
Blakeway
Blakeway

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:57 am

They are planning to bid to be the bid city from Australia, but they have a severe lack of infrastructure. I think this potential bid can be likened to that of Birmingham, Alabama.

The Melbourne bid has the support of many influential people including those who secured the Grand Prix.

But Brisbane is in MAJOR financial problems. They have alot of debt and are having something like a $16 billion dollar sell-off of state owned infrastructure. They will only be making a profit by 2013 or later.
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:04 am

Could Perth bid?
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Melbourne Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:16 pm

similar problems to Brisbane, severe lack of infrastructure, but they would have more money to build things, it would be more likely than Brisbane
Melbourne
Melbourne
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 am

Well I heard about Detroit bidding Question

This maybe dumb of me but for fun how about Cincinnati, Ohio
Very Happy
Wacky32
Wacky32

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2010-01-12

http://sibf.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:03 am

[quote="dljrfn2000"]Ok anyone who thinks Birmingham has a chance to get by the USOC is lying. So that's out; Boston is the likely US Representative but I see a few problems with that.
1. Has anyone tried getting around Boston Recently?
2. Where would they put the green, and would that involve taking the Patriots out of Foxboro or god forbid giving the Revolution a stadium that's way too big for them.
3. Outside of Foxboro, I see 3 other soccer stadiums in the area including UMass Amherst, Boston College, Renchler Field and maybe a stretch to say the Yale Bowl. Not enough venues for soccer and the city of Boston has no need for another one.
4. Outside of the stadium where the Celtics play (name slipping my mind) I see again the same colleges providing for basketball venues (switching the Yale Bowl to the Hartford Civic Center and the Providence convention center) and again the city of Boston has no need for a new indoor arena.

If it weren't for those major issues I would be all for it but the fact is Boston has huge holes in it.
[/quote="dljrfn2000"]

Vancouver Held the Opening in an Enclosded stadium, Why can't Boston do the Same with the TDGarden. Not that bad. The stadiums for soccer can be miles away as we saw with Beijing 2008
There are now 2 convention centers in Boston. Bayside expo center and The Boston Convention center perfect venues. Boston College, MIT, Harvard and the many other great universities in the area have amazing athletic facilities.
Boston is surprisingly easy to navigate. The T is expanding and Boston has an extensive bus system and a great connection system to extensive infrastructure. Amtrak runs into Boston as a Termius leading trains all the way out to Newport News, VA and Chicago, IL. And the extension of the commuter lines all the way into future cape cod, Southern Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire and Western MA you'll have an amazing public transit system in place. And most locals in the Mass KNOW not to drive into Boston. thats just a death sentence. it's much easier to just take the T. Providence is not very far away from Boston at all and we have numerous places that could accomidate such a games. i think that you shouldn't take Boston as a short commer in the 2020 Race.
Also, Foxboro would make a great Olympic Stadium but i doubt they'd use it. i see them using the Garden or The Boston Amphitheater grounds or another location along the charles.

TL;DR Boston is a great choice. Don't short come it
Jcool663
Jcool663

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-03-01

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:45 am

I'm considering the source coming from New Bedford MA Razz

Boston is good.... but not the best choice in the world right now, as I said I fully expect it to win for the US delegation but I just don't see it beating out other cities due to some infrastructure issues, and more importantly a lack of space for new things... for instance an Olympic village.

Why can't Boston do the same with the garden as they did with BC Place?
BC Place: 60,000 People
Boston Garden: 20,000.... on a good day

Now.... that being said Gillette would be a highly sufficient stadium.... if it weren't for the lack of Athletic Facilities and the shear cost it would be to rip up the football field put athletic facilities down and then rebuild the football field. That's not gonna happen, and they can't build a new stadium and say its for the Patriots because MA just dumped millions to build Gillette (I would know the state of CT was prepared to dump that much for the team to go Hartford) The ISC would also likely want to see the main stadium for the summer games within the city limits which Foxboro is not.

Oh and the Comcast Center.... that's a bad joke if you think that the IOC would let the games opening ceremonies be held there.

While I understand your enthusiasm for Boston I would be truly amazed beyond belief if Boston held the games.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm

I think Quebec City will have games like in 2022. The construction of a new arena is in the way. There's 4 ski mountains around the Capital and snow Smile
Well the only thing needed is a great logo and I think we'll get some!
Blakeway
Blakeway

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:31 pm

dljrfn2000 wrote:I'm considering the source coming from New Bedford MA Razz

Boston is good.... but not the best choice in the world right now, as I said I fully expect it to win for the US delegation but I just don't see it beating out other cities due to some infrastructure issues, and more importantly a lack of space for new things... for instance an Olympic village.

Now.... that being said Gillette would be a highly sufficient stadium.... if it weren't for the lack of Athletic Facilities and the shear cost it would be to rip up the football field put athletic facilities down and then rebuild the football field. That's not gonna happen, and they can't build a new stadium and say its for the Patriots because MA just dumped millions to build Gillette (I would know the state of CT was prepared to dump that much for the team to go Hartford) The ISC would also likely want to see the main stadium for the summer games within the city limits which Foxboro is not.

Oh and the Comcast Center.... that's a bad joke if you think that the IOC would let the games opening ceremonies be held there.

While I understand your enthusiasm for Boston I would be truly amazed beyond belief if Boston held the games.

True. I think Boston has amazing potential. If the likes of Minneapolis/St.Paul, Tulsa, Or Buffalo even have a shot then Boston has an even better potential.
Opening Ceremonies could be possible at Fenway Park and Harvard Stadium are all possible contenders. The Opening Ceremonies and Athletic events don't necessarily have to take place on the same field.
Comcast Center? HA! that's truly a Joke! I wouldn't even dare bring that place into contention of even being a contender of holding events.
At Best Foxboro will be a great soccer Stadium. Bought it.
Thinking about it... Fenway would be an amazing Ceremony Plaza. it seems an odd place but Fenway has served many purposes. I don't see why it can't serve the same purpose. (Although, The 37,000 Capacity is a drag) But again, Boston would make an Awesome Winter Olympics Host as well for possibly 2022. The slopes are roughly 200 Miles away from Boston. Which is the same Distance as Whistler was to Vancouver.
Jcool663
Jcool663

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Jcool663 wrote:
If the likes of Minneapolis/St.Paul, Tulsa, Or Buffalo even have a shot

The thing is these cities have zero shot, Tulsa is crazy thinking they have a shot without USOC support and even with it it wouldn't get passed applicant status. The US wont host a SOGs till at least 2024 and it will face steep competition from cities like Toronto and Paris. the USOC needs to fix relations with the IOC before they make another bid or until the IOC runs out of money.

As for Boston, maybe in a few decades.
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Jcool663
Jcool663

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:34 pm

True, I believe that Boston probably will pick up the US delegations vote. And your right, I am a bit of A Boston rooter because i am from the area. haha.

Who says that the Main Stadium for Opening and closing Ceremonies has to be the Athletic Stadium. It truly doesn't. TDGarden would truly be a joke as a opening ceremonies venue. But what about Harvard Stadium or better yet Fenway Park! fenway can Stretch to about 39,000 spectators and Harvard Stadium around 30,000. Foxboro Would be a great Soccer Locale but not a great opening Stadium. That's just absurd!

Olympic Village- I give you this, An Olympic Village would be a difficult bill to fit. But you have numerous colleges in the area and if your talking about a summer games. then the colleges around the area would be more than grateful to pick up the extra people in their dormitories (Especially if the MA Taxpayers are footing the bill). You also have Construction going on in Downtown Boston, and the surrounding area... The odds are that they would fit an Olympic Purpose and later a residential one.

The Comcast Center?!? LMFAO! That's a joke. You and I BOTH know that. I wouldn't even try that one.

It does seem like Boston has alot going against it but every bid has issues. you can't disregard a bid because you don't see it happeneing. It's possible if you do think about it. I would be shocked if Boston won as well but you never know.
Jcool663
Jcool663

Back to top Go down

Post by Jcool663 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Although I'd Love to see Lisboa or Porto play host to the games. That would be AMAZING!
Jcool663
Jcool663

Back to top Go down

Post by dljrfn2000 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:53 pm

hmmm Harvard Stadium..... now that would've been a geat stadium about 30-40 years ago. Gillette is a good stadium for a lot of things but the fact that it is relatively removed (as opposed to BC Place, the bird nest, Athens and Sydney's Olympic stadiums to name a few... I am yes failing to mention Salt Lake's on purpose) from the city of Boston hurts its credibility as the olympic stadium.
dljrfn2000
dljrfn2000

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:23 am

Predictions 2018-2030:
2018- Munich
2020- Dallas
2022- Denver
2024- Cape Town
2026- Barcelona
2028- Paris
2030: Switzerland
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 am

Not sure for the 2 american cities in a row. Very Happy
Blakeway
Blakeway

Back to top Go down

Post by cormiermax Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:14 am

It was announced awhile ago there will be no US bid for the 2020 games.
cormiermax
cormiermax
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:20 am

Awww, bummer Sad
And Blakeway, i may be wrong about Dallas IDK though Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban are rich people they may have a good chance with 2020, but Denver will have a chance in 2022 and maybe Madrid and Tokyo are not out of the question for 2020. Question
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 am

I like Denver Very Happy But like Max said before: USA doesn't have good relations with IOC, so there won't be any games since alot of time, I guess!
Blakeway
Blakeway

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky32 Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:15 am

Ah well, Other cities have many chances like Melbourne, Paris and Cape Town. Smile
Wacky32
Wacky32

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Hope it'll be Cape Town! Very Happy
Blakeway
Blakeway