SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SimSports
Why not login/register and join the conversation here at SimSports? It's simple, free and most of all allows you to compete in all the sports here.
SimSports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results)

2 posters

Go down

Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results) Empty Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results)

Post by knarfmo Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:28 am

I'll be posting the outcome of your ideas and other "research and development issues" here.
knarfmo
knarfmo
ISC Member
ISC Member

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results) Empty Research and Development Results: March 2009

Post by knarfmo Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:34 am

Here are the results of some recent suggestions for the February Simlympics "Simlympics Lab" cycle. There are four items.

Request for a new sport: Dragon Boating
The ISC reviewed this sport and declined to include it in the Simlympics. The main reason was that Dragon Boating is not part of mainstream international sports and has very limited participation in countries outside of Asia.

Request for a new sport: Snooker
The ISC reviewed this sport and declined to include it in the Simlympics. The main reason was that there is not consensus on snooker being considered a sport in the "Olympics sense"; cue sports are accepted as part of the Asian Games, but most international sports events do not include them.

To clarify on the two items above: yes, information about both sports was presented to the ISC members, including what the sport is, how popular it is worldwide, and whether or not the sport is played in the Olympics or similar events like the Asian Games or Commonwealth Games. Some thought and work went into consideration of these two sports before the ISC declined to include them in the Simlympics. But for Dragon Boaters and "Snookerers" (?) there is a potential silver lining next on the agenda.

New Simlympics Element: Demonstration Sports
The ISC will allow host nations to sponsor one demonstration sport in the Simlympics games. Here are the rules:

* The selected sport should be included in the host city's bid (exception - the April 2009 host will be allowed to submit a demonstration sport request after the games have been awarded - though based on Tourist City's bid we're guessing it will be Dragon Boating). However, a proposal for a demonstration sport is not required and not part of the criteria used to select a host city.
* The ISC reserves the right to deny a request for a specific demonstration sport if the ISC feels that it isn't a good fit or in the spirit of the Simlympics.
* Demonstration sports will not be included in the official medal table.
* Demonstration sports will not be included in the PAS. All teams (countries) will participate in the sport with the winner to be determined by random selection. For large team demonstration sports, the teams will be selected for the Simlympics tournament by random selection; except that the host nation will always automatically participate in the tournament. If the sport is part of an active SimSports league, the ISC will consider proposals to deviate from this rule if the tournament would build on that League's activities.
* This should be obvious, but a demonstration sport should be one that is not already a sanctioned event in the winter or summer Simlympics and Parasimlympics. Examples include: Dragon Boating and Snooker.

Rules Clarification: Union Membership
Players may sign up for the games under one union membership of his or her choice by the deadline to sign up to play for each corresponding Simlympics. At that deadline, the player is "locked into" that union, in terms of assignment on the union medals table, for the duration of that Simlympics Games Event. Players may have countries that change union membership during a Simlympics Games Event, but that change will not be recognized by the Simlympics until that particular games event has concluded.
knarfmo
knarfmo
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results) Empty Re: Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results)

Post by Aranho Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:48 am

Okay then. The decision about dragon boating as an official sport is fair enough. I'm expecting this anyway. I'm happy that it could be under the demonstration sports.

Now, one question, when dragon boating events are included in the Simlympic events schedule (if this happens), will I have to plan the schedule for these events or will the ISC plan the schedule of these events.
Aranho
Aranho
Former Simlympic Host

Number of posts : 1146
Registration date : 2008-10-18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Aranho

Back to top Go down

Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results) Empty Re: Research and Development (Simlympics Lab Results)

Post by knarfmo Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:49 am

Let me get back to you on that. Smile I envisioned that it would be one race - how many events are there?
knarfmo
knarfmo
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aranho Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:57 am

Althought I originally planned for 12 events (men, women & mixed per 500m, 1000m, 2000m & 4000m), I have decided to cut down on it to these events:

500m: women, mixed
1000m: men, women
2000m: men
4000m: men

This will add up to a total of 6 events.

Feel free to cut down on the number of events of you wish to. I don't always have the final say all the time.
Aranho
Aranho
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by knarfmo Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:05 am

Aranho -

The ISC discussed this and we want to keep the demonstration sport to one medal event. I know this is disappointing for you given that you had six events picked out, but we want the demonstration sport to be a limited, single special event.

You are, however, welcome to pick out where you want your event on the schedule. Please let us know which event you pick and when you would like to do it.
knarfmo
knarfmo
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aranho Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:49 am

Never mind knarfmo, it's alright. Certain tings should have its limits eventually.

About the event, let's make it to only Men's 1000m.

About the schedule, let's held this event to April 4th (Day 4 if I'm not wrong).

I would also like to apologize for causing you and your ISC members this much trouble.
Aranho
Aranho
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by knarfmo Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:34 am

No trouble, Aranho, we just hadn't thought about that possibility. 1000m Dragon Boating it is!
knarfmo
knarfmo
ISC Member
ISC Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Aranho Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:22 am

Thanks.
Aranho
Aranho
Former Simlympic Host

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down